A Day of Rememberance

Kaleb Bielfeldt, Reporter/Writer

Since the day this country was founded men and women have stood on the frontlines to defend our freedom. From the American Revolution to the wars in the middle east we have stood up and recognized these people’s bravery. 

Veterans Day, originally known as Armistice Day, is a commemoration of the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 when the Armistice of November 11th, 1918 was signed that ended the First World War. Until 1954 Veterans Day at the time was called Armistice Day only recognized the men who fought in WW1 . But after former president and General of the United States Army, Dwight D. Eisenhower renamed the holiday Veterans Day. We used the day as a day of honor for those who have served in our country’s military.

RBMS is celebrating Veterans Day with a car decoration contest. “The parents are what inspired us to do this.” said Mrs. Vasquez, the Administrative Assistant to the Principal. “There were a few people who had decorated their cars and we extend the invite to everyone. The RBMS cheer team will be lined up outside waving to the parents as they drop off their kids, and students will have a chance to sign stars with the name of a loved one who has served or is currently serving.” said Mrs. Vasquez.

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed down for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was like when in the United States where men were free. So to every veteran serving or retired we are forever in your debt. Thank you.”